Solution of sheet pile walls and seepage problems by finite element method; rheological solution of consolidation problem; dynamic slope stability; dynamic compaction. Adaptation of the wedge shear test for the measurement of the shear strength of compacted granular soils. Foundation design in difficult soil conditions, in-situ testing of soils, dynamic slope stability correlation between soil parameters. Use of fly ash in geotechnical applications.
• Measurement of shear strength of unsaturated fissured clays
• Measurement of shear strength of gravels and crushed rock
• Embankment dams
• Stability of slopes
Expansive Soil Behaviour:
• Swell amount and swell pressures
• Suction methods
• Lateral swell behavior
• Soil Stabilization
Ground Improvement Techniques:
• Stone columns, stress concantration and settlement improvement factors
• Preloading with vertical drains
In-Situ Testing of Soils:
• CPT versus soil compressibility
• Shaft capacity of driven and bored piles
• Rainfall triggered landslides
• Triaxial testing of unsaturated soils
• Modeling unsaturated soil strength
• Soil-water characteristic curves
• High-capacity tensiometers
Geotechnical Earthquake Engineering:
• Liquefaction of sandy and silty soils.
• Assessment of liquefaction behavior of sandy and silty soils under triaxial and simple shear testing conditions, extension to the field behavior.
• Dynamic earth pressures on model walls under harmonic excitations
• Behavior of earth and rock fill dams under earthquake motions
• Stabilization of slopes by passive piles
• Swelling of clayey soils
• Use of fly ash for soil stabilization
• Effect of surface and subsurface topography on earthquake ground motion parameters.
• Field investigation methods and their implications.
Funded Research Topics:
- Development of a more efficient retaining system for small-area deep excavations, BAP, ended in March 2012.
- Developent of high-capacity tensiometer and measurement of soil suction, BAP, ends in January 2013.
- Modeling and mechanism of rainfall induced landslides, TUBİTAK 1001, ends in March 2013.