|METU Credit (Theoretical-Laboratory hours/week):
|Language of Instruction:
|Level of Study:
||Prof.Dr. İSMAİL AYDIN
||Fall or Spring Semesters.
The aim of the course is to teach the basic concepts and techniques related to discretization and numerical solution of fluid flow equations.
Governing equations, turbulence models. Finite differences, errors and stability. Methods for wave, heat, Laplace, Burgers and Navier-Stokes equations. Grid generation, structured and unstructured mesh systems, Finite volume method, conservative discretization, approximation of surface and volume integrals, interpolation practices, implementation of boundary conditions.
At the end of the course students are expected to
1) be familiar with basic CFD techniques,
2) be able to construct mathematical models to their specific problems,
3) put the equations in a form suitable for numerical solution,
4) construct a suitable grid system,
5) select the appropriate solution methodology,
6) to interpret and evaluate accuracy and reliability of the computational results.