|METU Credit (Theoretical-Laboratory hours/week):
|Language of Instruction:
|Level of Study:
||Assoc.Prof.Dr. KORAY KAMİL YILMAZ
||Fall and Spring Semesters.
The objectives of this course are
1) To provide students the basic knowledge of the layers of the earth, rocks and minerals, external and internal earth processes.
2) To introduce students the techniques used in geological studies.
3) To develop students ability to visualize three dimensional nature of the geological units.
4) To explain students the significance of the geological materials and processes in civil engineering applications.
5) To teach students the contemporary issues related to geological engineering.
Structure of the Earth. Geological cycles, minerals and rocks. External processes on land and in the sea. Internal processes, including deformation of rocks and earthquakes. Topics of interest to Civil Engineering students.
At the end of the course, students are expected to determine the basic types of earth materials, earth structures and earth processes and expected to link this information to Civil Engineering applications.