Materials of Construction - Facilities
The materials of construction laboratory cover a total floor area of 1800 m2.
In the main testing hall there are five universal testing machines and two loading frames ranging in capacities from 10 kN to 5000 kN. The mechanical properties of various materials can be determined and full scale tests can be performed on certain structural elements. Additionally, there exists equipment for testing the physical and chemical characteristics of materials. The laboratory is used both for instruction and research, as well as for services to the industry.
The following is a brief list of equipment available in the laboratory:
- MTS Landmark 250 series of servo-controlled loading frame capable of testing materials in compression and tension;
- A video extensometer, for strain measurement during loading tests;
- Five uniaxial testing frames with capacities of 10 kN, 40 kN, 100 kN, 1000 kN, 5000 kN,
- Various environmental chambers capable of applying different temperatures (from -40 ⁰C to 60 ⁰C);
- Various high temperature laboratory muffle furnaces (1100 to 1500 ⁰C);
- An X-ray diffractometer, for studying crystalline materials;
- An X-ray fluorescence spectrometer, for studying the elemental composition of materials;
- An isothermal calorimeter, for studying the heat evolution of materials during reaction;
- An infrared thermal camera;
- Ultrasonic pulse velocity tester;
- Impact echo tester;
- Resonant frequency tester;
- Concrete rebound hammer;
- High-performance computing resources.